Saturday, July 3, 2010

Why Albuquerque, New Mexico?


IT'S COOLER HERE IN ALBUQUERQUE. That is TOP on my list.

Now I have only been here (off and on) for two months and so far in May and June, I've experienced 70-high 90s in the middle part of the day and 50-high 60s/maybe low 70s in the night and morning. It started raining this week and I haven't noticed much humidity. Considering that I only have a evap cooler as my central air, I'm hoping the humidity and temps for the remainder of the summer stay just where they are. One 14-year resident of Albuquerque informed me that June is typically the hottest month of the year. Hmmm...sounds good to me! I just hope I didn't bring any of the hot Phoenix summer air along with me.

The information below is from Uniquely Albuquerque, a convention and tourist's bureau website.

UNIQUELY ALBUQUERQUE: Albuquerque is renowned for having the best year roundweather in the USA.

Summers are warm and dry with the average daytime highs around 90°F/32°C and nighttime temperatures cooling down to44°F/7°C are common, but the low humidity means shade provides ample relief from the heat.

Autumn in Albuquerque is often called "Indian Summer" because of warm temperatures early in the season around 70°F/21°C. Summer still lingers in September and early October, with "sweater" weather setting in during November.

Winter requires heavier outdoor clothing; however, sweatshirts or light jackets may be enough on those famousAlbuquerque sunny days. It will snow on occasion, but it seldom lasts more than a day or two. Instead, snow remains in the nearby Sandia Mountains where it creates a skier's delight. Sports enthusiasts can often ski in the morning and play golf or tennis that same afternoon.

Spring begins Albuquerque's warming trend with buds and blossoms decorating the city in April and May. The Rio Grande weather enhances your afternoon hikes or morning walks along the banks. In just a matter of weeks, the bare limbs of cottonwood trees lining the banks of the Rio Grande billow with waves of green, preparing themselves for the rising waters of snowmelt from the Northern New Mexico mountains.

A downtown mural of the Alvarado Hotel around Central and 2nd St.

Actually I was drawn here because of the wall art...it is everywhere. It made me think that they are open-minded here and enjoy having artists around. I had to come and see for myself.

There are mountains for hiking...actually lots of places for exercising whether it's walking, biking, or hiking. Of course, these forms of exercise are my favorites.

It's a smaller city, but not small enough really. But I need to live where there are jobs, at least for another 20 years or so, by then I imagine the country will be looking like my kind of destination.

Albuquerque Daily Photo shows the diversity of wall art here. Even with the tons of pictures I've already taken, I have yet to see most of these murals in person. It's incredible! Very talented people living here.

A downtown mural
I found the following information about this mural at RoadTrip America.

FRUTOS DE LA EXPRESION
designed by Claire Bain
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Contributed by Gerald Thurman of Tempe, Arizona
This mural was completed in 2000 under the auspices of Working Classrooms, Inc. and honors the first, fifteenth and nineteenth amendments to the U.S. Constitution. It was painted by: Claire Bain, Gary Sena, Lauren Kostelnick, Antonio Lente, Elizabeth Lopez, Luis Mayorga, Branden Toledo, and Michael Herrod. The mural is located in downtown Albuquerque at the SE corner of 2nd NW Street and Central.

2 comments:

HeIsSailing said...

Hi Tammie. I am about to reply to the comment you left on the recording I made with my wife 'Unequally Yoked', but I thought I would stop by here and get to know you a bit.

ALBUQUERQUE!!!!

How I miss that beautiful city - although it has certainly grown a lot since I last lived there. I moved from there in 1996 and moved just south of there to Socorro. I now live in El Paso. El Paso is... ... ok.. but give me Albuquerque any day.

I am originally from San Ysidro, NM - about 50 NW from Albuquerque.

tk said...

Well it's a small world isn't it...someone told me yesterday there's a joke that Albuquerque is the "land of entrapment" and not just enchantment-once people move here they never seem to leave. I laughed when she told me about this...sounds like you would hardly view it that way, since you've moved on, but have fond memories! It's always cool to hear that others have walked on similar grounds...means we have even more in common than our quest.