Friday, July 16, 2010

Need Some Motivation???

Man! Job hunting can be a downer, if you rely on the internet to hand you an interview. So when I began losing interest, motivation and hope in starting a job anytime soon, I realized it was time to look for answers. After doing some research into the best job hunting techniques, I found out that I've been predictably "spinning my wheels" and gaining little momentum due to my very actions (or lack of the best actions).

For starters...pursuing jobs on-line only is like sowing seeds in rocky ground. Not only will your crop be sparse, you might even stumble and fall. There are definitely predators out there just waiting for the gullible fly to get caught up in their net. Or I can go back to the vehicle analogy...you'll be left spinning your wheels, going nowhere.

So what to do? Scouting job prospects on-line is not a bad idea to do in spare time, but the true meat and potatoes of job hunting is self-marketing...preparing yourself, your resume, and a cover letter and targeting the companies you want to work for. Not waiting on them to come to you with an interview from your on-line application, but contacting them, and specifically someone who has the power or say-so to grant you an interview. (reality checks from Robin Ryan and other job coaching experts)

Now...the above is no easy task! It takes a serious investment of time, intense mental evaluation and clarification, decisiveness, courage, and gall! Which is why it's just so much easier to sit at the computer googling jobs, posting your profile and resume(s) on job search engines and filling out applications. Believe you me! That's what I did for about 2 weeks with very little turn on my time investment.

The more I searched for answers and read the info out there, the more I realized how much I have yet to do and how to change my job search tactics. There are gobs of books out there offering the ideal way to land a job. If you read a few books or articles by job coaches, you realize they are all saying about the same thing. It isn't rocket science. What they have to say just makes sense. This is the information I've been digesting:

Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald Clifton

Over 40 & You're Hired by Robin Ryan

Knock Em Dead by Martin Yate

Ya! I don't believe it is as easy as "1, 2, 3..." but they have a point. I'm not looking for a miracle, but I need to use my brain and be productive with my time. The internet contains a lot of information on jobs, but marketing oneself in person gets people to notice you!

So...I'm "getting in the game" and will be "sowing the seeds" as a new week begins. I'll keep you up on my progress.


Some of the areas are hilly which helps a bit with the cardio.

In the meantime the one healthy thing I've been doing (however inconsistently) is going for walks in the evenings from 30-60 minutes and completing my knee strengthening routine. It is good to get outside and walk to get some perspective. And tonight as I took my mp3 player with me and listened to "Listen Up: The Official 2010 World Cup Album", I felt uplifted and actually good about life. Listening to upbeat, active music with a positive message is definitely a helpful reminder and motivator. We just don't do those good things for ourselves enough!

The last week has been full of cloudy days and very little rain...
don't let the rainbow fool ya!

Ok! Now you try it...listen to this song and try not to move!


Ahhh...come on now! You know that little kid in you is going bonkers!!!

If you still have no motivation to get up and move after listening to music like this...maybe you need some shut eye! Well then...get your sleep on, so you can eventually get up and do something good for yourself like moving to the beat!

By the way...Congrats to Spain for winning the World Cup in overtime!

No comments: