Thursday, January 1, 2009

Definitely a beginner

It is now 2009 and there's a whole year ahead of living life...what will change? improve? shock? disappoint? surprise? What is now unknown, at this time next year, will, once again, be history. Will it repeat itself? So often it does. I have to admit sometimes I feel like a hamster just spinning a wheel round and round.

I've been thinking about this blogging thing too. I really originally started this blog simply to be able to write responses to other blogspot.com bloggers. So far I'm frustrated with the amount of time I spend posting just one blog! And so I know that if I'm going to stick with this blog, I've got to change my approach or maybe my mindset, and drastically cut back the time I spend pouring over what I write.

I've begun to realize that the posts I like to read are more personal, about family life and personal struggles and triumphs. I feel reluctant to move in a more personal direction with what I write here. But I have to ask myself, "Who's more likely to read this blog? And what do they want to know about me, my opinions, etc.? Well...my family will be the most likely to read what I write, for the time being, and so why not get more personal? As I write more about my everyday life...maybe I'll convince my family members to do the same. It really is a great way to find out about each other for those of us who do a better job of communicating in writing than in conversing.

I'll continue to post my opinions about what's going on in the world around me, along with adding items/stories of interest that I stumble across. And I will begin to write bits and pieces about my life...what is going on with me, what I'm doing, etc.

So here goes...I've spent quite a bit of time in the past couple days baking pans of brownies, a pan of lasagna and garlic bread sticks. I enjoy giving food as gifts to friends and co-workers. It was a cheaper way to shower lots of people with "love and good wishes". Also I recently ate a delicious dish, Tortellacci, at Uno Chicago Grill at the Arizona Center. My daughter picked it out and I have to say her choice was fantastic. Here's a description: PILLOWS OF PASTA (TORTELLACCI) Jumbo tortellini stuffed with beef, veal and pancetta, then topped with an Alfredo, Parmesan and our traditional Italian Bolognese sauce. We were both pleasantly surprised.

Work in detention has been extremely slow, which has allowed me to focus on Beat writings and writing responses. Writing these responses can also take considerable time, but I love reading creative writing by teens in detention and having the opportunity to respond in a way that encourages them to continue writing and also to think about the message they send in what they write. Providing increasing opportunities for teens to write in detention is one of my passions. Unfortunately I am somewhat limited, following my knee surgery, in what I can do to pursue this passion. I will have to remain in Control until May to allow for a complete recovery and safe return to the rigors and risks of working directly with the teens on units.

Blogging for beginners...yes that's me. I 've got alot to learn and that excites me! There is so much to learn about not only the computer, but life and relationships. The challenge is finding a balance between work, relationships (family and/or friends), hobbies, etc. Blogging for beginners was a topic covered on Talk of the Nation/NPR today with Neal Conan...check it out, if interested. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98935599

No comments: