Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteren's Day and Beyond

Veteran’s Day…much attention is paid to those in military service on this day to honor and thank them for their service. What many feel and what this day means to so many veterans and their families most likely cannot be put into words…

Two of my brothers served time in the military. I am thankful that they were able to serve our country during times of “peace” and that they did not have to see combat. A close family member, whom we considered “our grandfather”, served in the Korean war (and possibly WWII). He passed away in 2004. Beyond the tragedies of the war he witnessed during his service, and his war injuries, he was able to live a long, fulfilling life. There are many families who have veterans in their family who served during time of war, and they revere and honor those family members, not only for their service to our country, but because they go on to positively impact their home communities in a variety of ways.

But there is a flip side to service in the military, during times of war. Many veterans have mountains to climb when they return from service in a war zone...for some the mountains become insurmountable. So I have on my heart and mind, not only those serving in Iraq, Afghanistan, and around the world, or waiting on bases to be deployed, not only those who have given their lives for "democracy", not only those who been able to find a path in civilian life, after returning from war and have gone on to live fulfilling lives, but, also, those who struggle with "the demons of war" long after they return. Some of these "soldiers" are a significant number of the homeless in our country. It breaks my heart to think how they got from where they were to where they are today.

I listened to a broadcast on the Diane Rehm’s show (NPR.org), today, discussing the current situations many veterans face: I encourage you to check out this link:
http://wamu.org/programs/dr/ Where will we go beyond Veteran’s Day to address the needs of these men and women?? Personally, my outlook is that because those serving in the military are government employees, it is the responsibility of the government to go above and beyond to meet their needs in a timely manner, which means NOW…not many, many months later. What others, as individuals and non-profit agencies, are able to do to reach out to veterans in their communities, I think is commendable. I imagine it is a difficult outreach (and at the same time a deeply moving) in which to be involved.

Here are some additional links to read more from and about veterans.
http://www.veteransforamerica.org/
http://www.mysanantonio.com/military/33484094.html
The 'Here and Now' broadcast today was also interesting and informative. Link is to the left.

My most extensive exposure to war and those serving in war has been through movies-from "Saving Private Ryan" to "Windtalkers" to "Jarhead"-and most recently, my attempt to read Anthony Swofford’s book, Jarhead. The movies depict war as graphically horrific and traumatic during the experience, but soldiers do what they have to do to obey orders, complete their mission, and somehow come home alive, if not in one piece. Reading Jarhead has been difficult for me, too, due to it’s shocking content (reminds me of when I read A Million Little Pieces), though I have yet to hear that Swofford was fictionalizing his story. I have not yet finished this book and have to lay it down from time to time. My hope is to eventually write a spokenword piece for veterans of war. I have more research to do, though, before I’m able to write a piece that accurately describes their experience.

Earlier this year I heard Barack and Michelle Obama’s speak out on their support of extended benefits to returning veterans. Their comments definitely sparked my attention after all the coverage on Walter Reed Army Medical Center and the current condition of The Department of Veteran’s Affairs. This link basically outlines what Obama says he supports regarding benefits for veterans and those in military service: http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/michaelgottwald/gGgYCg
Whether the next administration is able to reduce the bureaucratic paper nightmare and provide the services to Veterans in a quick, efficient manner remains to be seen. Even though I have had little personal contact with war veterans, I am aware of the difficulties many face in “transitioning” back to civilian life after active duty in a war zone, and am shaken and saddened by what they endure not only in service, but life after war.

Psalm 91, has often been a personal comfort of mine, whenever a friend would take on what I knew to be a potentially dangerous task/assignment …
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of the night, not the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near to you. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. If you make the Most High your dwelling-even the Lord, who is my refuge-then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

So many have died in so many wars…stunning numbers…and each person’s death impacted their families, friends, co-worker, etc. The ripple effect of war may be neverending. Why some men/women are killed, and others live, is hard to fathom...people can attribute many things…fate, prayer, luck, the heroics of another fallen comrade… There are many reasons, and the answers to “Why? may be difficult or impossible to sort out. But for those in service who live, and for the families and friends of those who have given their lives or are currently serving in the military, we can, at least, commit to supporting them, in whatever ways we can not only on Veterans Day, but the days beyond, as they daily face vexing challenges, struggles, and decisions, inside and outside the warzone.

Honestly I am speaking mostly to myself in this post, as a reminder, because it is so easy to just go on about life here in America, when I do not have immediate family or close friends currently in Iraq or Afghanistan, and not truly take in the sacrifices those who do and are make each and every day. Recently a daughter of my long time friend, Chelle, signed up for service, completed boot camp and is currently stationed in Texas. My heart sunk when I first heard she was considering military service, because I feared not only for her life, but for her life beyond possible deployment to war in the middle east. Knowing that she could be deployed within the next year and knowing that she will be working in the medical field, brings the war and it's impact on daily life closer to home. Figuring out how I can support her, and others in service, has now become a more pertinent issue for me personally. I guess, in some ways, that is a good thing.

No comments: