Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rejoice in the small things

Finally got the packages sent off to family and quite a bit of organizing done around home today. I feeling relieved and thankful. I love that feeling of having accomplished a project, particularly when the tasks I have to do seem so overwhelming. Since my surgery, what tends to overwhelm me is mindboggling and sometimes frustrating. I look forward to a time when the little things are not as daunting and I can pick up speed once again, not just with my step, but in my life as well. When my daughter and I spent some time together lately, I teased her saying, "We're practicing for when I'm in my 70s. This is how it will be." Does that give you any idea as to how slow I move these days? Actually I should have said 90s or older, but I don't think she can image that happening. She's seventeen and at that age you believe pretty much believe that you're unstoppable (at least regarding what you are able to physically do). Aahhh...how little we realize and how much even I took for granted when I was young. :)

Other than that I have been listening to music instead of NPR or any news source. I'm on information overload and need a break from any "breaking news" for the time being. When I find my regular radio and TV stations getting on my nerves, I turn on the music. Music is healing in so many ways. Nickel Creek was my panacea throughout the day. Their music is a bluegrass, folkish style and the lyrics are haunting. Check them out at their website. http://www.nickelcreek.com/ My favorite song of theirs is The Lighthouse Tale. Tragically beautiful... Smootie Song is definitely worth a peek on the videos too. Or listen to their final concert together as Nickel Creek. http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=15731658&m=15908059 Nickel Creek is Chris Thile, Sara Watkins and Sean Watkins. The musical path they originally walked together has split into three separate paths for the future. I guess their final concert together was November 2008. I look forward to hearing the sounds their new ventures will create.

For the dancing...I'm including two videos today. The first is two dancers from China...you'll be amazed!! EVEN IF YOU DON'T WATCH ANY OF THE OTHER DANCE VIDEOS - WATCH THIS ONE!

This second video is a cultural dance from India.

The combo of all this today leaves me quoting a few lines from my poem "Hope Found"...

Sometimes I surprise myself, and am surprised at the same
in others, how in the midst of personal pain one can be so inspired
Life has often pummeled a creative soul aspiring
to reach within for a glimpse of heaven others may behold
I guess it stands without reason that talent will unfold
and come to light in dark places, where you find hearts aching.

No comments: