Sunday, August 15, 2010

Storytelling on Sunday - A photographic journey

Mural on 2nd St. and Copper in downtown Albuquerque
My first exposure to wall art in New Mexico 2009

August 2009 ... arrived in Albuquerque by bus and began my trek across the downtown area to my rental car location about 4 blocks away. This was about 7:00am and the streets seemed to be somewhat deserted, except for cars and a few scattered wanderers, like myself.

I was on my way to Santa Fe and Taos to take photos of murals and take in "artistic atmosphere". As I wheeled my luggage along the streets towards my destination, I discovered wall art all around me. I ended up taking photos of 5 murals in a half hour, right there in Albuquerque. I was intrigued.

Graffiti art across the road from my hotel...
glad I took the photos when I did as they no longer exist...
new photos have taken their place.

I soon found out that wall art was a norm along Route 66 and definitely got swept up in the glory of it all. Photo after photo, and I was hooked.

Wall art on Nob Hill in UNM area, Route 66

As I was saying my plan for August 9th and 10th, 2009 in New Mexico was actually to spend the majority of my time in Santa Fe and Taos, but I found myself caught up in the art scene in Albuquerque and had little desire to leave. Finally Albuquerque had gotten my attention, once again.

All up and down Route 66/Central I traveled taking photo after photo in the UNM/Nob Hill area. I liked the town, the weather (which was hot in the day, but cool in the evenings in August) and the art. I could not get over all the art. Wow! Compared to Phoenix, this town seemed to celebrate its wall artists.

It seemed Albuquerque had a hand in rearranging my plans this trip. Who would have imagined that 23 years later we'd have so many interests in common? Hmmmm...the wheels started turning and continued, even after I boarded the bus to head back to my Phoenix home...

Mural on Warehouse 21-a youth art center in Santa Fe

Rio Grande Gorge near Taos, New Mexico 2009

Oh, and by the way, I did eventually get to northern New Mexico in 2009, but my trip to Santa Fe and Taos was somewhat inconsequential and not quite what I had planned. Once I got north of Albuquerque, my attention turned to the outdoors. By this point I found my mind was saturated with art, and so I was content to just hang out along the Rio Grande and take photos of the beautiful surroundings. I don't know what it is, but there is just something about me and rivers.

Rio Grande River, north of Santa Fe

It is hard to believe that last August I was simply visiting and now just a year later I actually reside in Albuquerque, New Mexico. But then I'm not totally surprised, because Albuquerque has been beckoning to me since 1986. And I'm starting to think she remembers that I spurned her initial open invitation to me...so many years ago.

Here's the story of what happened...

Yes! Back in 1986 - 1987 I had strongly considered moving to Albuquerque. My intention in the summer of 1987 was to help out at Cross Bar X Youth Ranch in Durango, Colorado during drama camp and then move to Albuquerque. I had worked as a counselor at Cross Bar X the summer of 1986. This event had made such a significant impact on my life and at the time I had a strong desire to continue working with Cross Bar X. They were planning (or already had in place, can't remember which) an outreach and ministry to kids in Albuquerque, like the one they already had in Denver. It seemed like an exciting opportunity, as I wanted to work with others in a camp/ranch ministry.

But I really didn't have the finances to follow this dream on my own, and so after a reality check by my father about my financial situation, I resigned to do the right thing and move back to my parents' home after college. Back to Nebraska I went and as I got caught up in life as a twenty-something, Albuquerque, New Mexico became just a fond memory. Whether this decision was motivated out of obedience or fear or lack of faith, I do not know, but I do know the impact of that decision set the course of my life up to this very day.

It seems somewhat ironic that finances played a major role in my decision to abandon my plans to move to Albuquerque in 1987, and now in 2010 (23 years later) finances have finally allowed me to follow these earlier "imaginings" with a totally different motivation in my heart and mind.

Maybe I'm paying for the fact that I ignored her earlier calls in my direction, and then chose Phoenix instead (motivated by love/friendship and immaturity) when I had the chance to strike out and settle in the Southwest. Maybe Albuquerque couldn't help but notice that I abandoned her for another once again. And it didn't take long for me to fall in love with Arizona. Most likely my extended stay in Phoenix made that fact apparent. Really I had pretty much put Albuquerque out of my heart and mind until that fateful visit last August.


So my bubble, of a new start in this artistic destination (with the mountains to boot), may soon burst, if I am unable to survive this current employment climate and land a position somewhere. I don't really want to think that I may have to leave, but it seems a possibility.

Well what can I expect? I thought she'd would be "keen" to see me, but instead I've experienced a surprising amount of aloof indifference since arriving here (most evident to me in the area of job hunting). It's almost like Albuquerque's saying "So?!!" You show up after all this time and want me to welcome you with open arms?! Hmmph! Well I just don't know!" Sometimes you cannot convince a place or person you deserve a second (or maybe it's a third) chance when "feelings of distant rejection" (may) linger.

I can only hope the penance will soon end, and the town of Albuquerque will find it in her heart to forgive me and accept me as one of her own. I may have to put in lots of extra effort to convince her I really do want to stay and that I'm not on the rebound! (...lol...)


I hope to someday soon visit both Santa Fe and Taos again, along with a host of others destinations here in New Mexico. There's Roswell, Ruidoso, and Carlsbad Caverns, and the White Sands National Monument...just to mention a few.

Now that I'm finally here, I realize there is lots of wonderful potential. With so many interesting places to explore, and decent people and myriads of opportunities just under the surface, I'm surely hoping I get the chance to stay and contribute. But one can't force a new beginning, sometimes the seeds don't grow for a variety of reasons. I guess ultimately there's gotta be the "right" timing and an open heart for opportunities to present themselves to a willing hand. Right now I'm thinking the next 3 months will hold the answer to whether I've found a home or I'm just passing through.

I have scattered photos throughout this post of my 2009 trip to New Mexico. Enjoy!

1 comment:

HeIsSailing said...

Tammy says:

"...There's Roswell, Ruidoso, and Carlsbad Caverns, and the White Sands National Monument..."

Tammy, New Mexico is a huge, diverse state. I have lived in the state most of my life, and I am still finding new regions to expore.

The places you mentioned are pretty cool, Carlsbad is great, the caverns are spectacular - make sure you go up before October during sunset so you can experience the great bat flight - unreal. Roswell is a rance town that somehow became a tourest spot after some crazy conspiracy theories started popping up in the mid-90s. These days, it seems every rancher SE New Mexico has an impact crater and crash debris somewhere on their property that they will gladly show you (for a fee). If you go to White Sands Monument, try to plan on spending the night - it is unearthly. Like spending the night on Mars. Ruidoso - honestly, I have driven through there a zillion times and have never really cared for it. Even more touristy than Santa Fe. Like Santa Fe, you will be drawn outdoors in that area.

Have fun exploring the area. It will take you a lifetime.