Sunday, August 8, 2010

My surroundings are alive with moving creatures


Lots of wildlife and just nature, in general, where I now live.

Some of it welcome, and some not so much!



I have seen many bunny rabbits (several around the apartment complex) and others on my walks. They are so cute. This one sticks around even when I walk close by and doesn't seem at all bothered by cars. I usually see him/her busy munching away at the grass in the yard outside my residence.

The cottontail rabbits I see on walks hop away as quickly as they can and will hide just behind tall grass or a rock or brush just waiting for me to pass, so they can once again come out and explore the world around them.












And I have had NEVER-ENDING experiences with bugs of all kinds since I arrived here in Albuquerque...from mosquitos to roaches to cicadas.

I'm not too sure whether or not this little creature (above) is actually a cicada, but cicadas do seem to abound here. I have heard the cicadas at night, have witnessed them flying around (they are a bit intimidating due to their size with wing span), and have seen their left-over shells abandoned on the rocks and on sidewalks outside my current residence. Maybe it is the numerous trees that attract them. I'm not sure.

I don't remember seeing cicadas in Phoenix. Maybe it is too hot and dry in Phoenix. But during a visit to Prescott, Arizona, a few years ago, I encountered a whole park full of these noise makers. When found in large groups, they throw quite a party! What a racket it was and an event I will most likely never forget. The gathering of cicadas hardly made for a peaceful place to hang out, and I made my way out of the area, as quickly as I could. I was fortunate enough to find a peaceful spot later that same day in Prescott along Lynx lake. It was a beautiful and serene spot to stroll. Aahhh! Good memories! You can check out my pics of Lynx lake on Myspace.

I understand that bugs have their place in nature and are extremely necessary for pollen distribution, etc. It is just that dealing with bugs is one of my least favorite things about spending time in nature. I find that I can be a virtual feasting ground for mosquitoes, in particular, so bug sprays are without a doubt one of my essentials when I'm out hiking or just spending time in the great outdoors.


My current place of residence
when I'm not spending time in the great outdoors

No comments: