Friday, September 4, 2009

Troops battle not only the Taliban, but the opium trade

I heard this news story on "Here and Now" today about heroin addiction and found it interesting (considering I work with so many teens with potential drug addiction problems). You may find it interesting as well...take a listen to this interview with Richie Farrell-once addicted to heroin and now a successful journalist, author, professor, and screenplay writer. I am excited to read his memoir and possibly share it with the young people I work with in juvenile detention.

As I listened to this interview, I also couldn't help but think of Afghanistan and the opium trade that surrounds our own U.S. soldiers and most likely touches their lives daily. Hopefully these two stories about Aghanistan opium trade and heroin addiction do not come together for our soldiers in the years to come. If they do...talk about the costs of war!!!

No comments: